Adam...

Adam...
My Beloved Son

Saturday, April 24, 2010

the cake...


Adam loved to do nice little things for people...sometimes it involved me or the "Blue Nana" baking for his friends...I miss him asking me to do that stuff... being that old fashioned sort of mom, I looked forward to those requests...one of the fondest memories was the annual chocolate cake he'd "take credit" for making that he took to his friend Kayla's house to celebrate her birthday each November...most years, it would be the "Blue Nana" making her delicious version of an old-time chocolate cake...but there were years I made that cake, too...and he'd delight in telling Kayla "he did the whole thing!"...I smile as I type this...that mischievous little smile....and that was Adam's smile...we all knew it and we all loved it...his participation in the cake efforts may have been that he threw the sprinkles atop that frosting...but reflecting on that...it didn't matter...what mattered most was how he thought about his friend at that time...and the mere fact that he wanted to do this nice gesture and he followed through with it. He did stuff like that often...If it was Holiday times and I made pumpkin rolls, he's invite the crew over for that...and of course, for his birthday, I would bake a cheesecake and again, we'd have plenty of others enjoying it...Adam's last cooking request from me was for "Festivus" in December...he and some of his friends who are loyal to following Seinfeld in cindication....celebrated with a little party annually....and they'd have odd concoctions of foods...this year I made homemade Swedish meatballs and I made dessert...I took my time and made dessert brownie bites with a swirl of chocolate icing and topped with shimmering snowflake sprinkles...he laughed and laughed telling me it's to fancy for "Festivus"....he texted me later that night that everyone loved my food...
well, I enjoyed being part of that, too...and I think I'll still bake that cake in November because I know that Kayla and her folks will appreciate that...and we'll think about Adam when we eat it...

No comments:

Post a Comment