Adam...

Adam...
My Beloved Son

Thursday, June 10, 2010

I worked with a doctor not far back..his intelligence and demeanor seemed frightfully intimidating at first...but within weeks into months I saw a softening of his initial appearance that I had took into view and consideration...he mentioned to a co-worker that I was a nurse who saw the "glass half full"...not much more was mentioned but that statement alone meant an immeasurable amount of meaning to me...I knew what he meant by that...I could see how he watched me as I'd talk passionately about the people I met, those who I provided care for...the light I'd somehow see in the distance...far, far ahead of me that perhaps others couldn't even squint to visualize...what I grew to learn was that his cup was as filled as mine...and last night I started a book..."When Bad Things Happen to Good People"...yes, I knew I needed to read that....the title alone is an attention grabber for some people like us, Teddy and me and Jordan, hey, we're good people...why did this happen to us? The rabbi who wrote this sounds like he shares my heart and feelings...I'm obviously not through with the book yet, I fell asleep with the pages open and lying across my chest...but what I did read must have comforted me to sleep...followed by lovely dreams of Adam. He looked just like any other day...handsome and fresh in a pair of cargo shorts with a tee and basketball jersey over it...and he was so happy to see me...I could see how much he loved me in his blue eyes and his amazing smile...he "lit" up as we walked together and Jordan walked alonside as he told us of Heaven. He seemed happy...he told me wished he was still with me though, perhaps because I needed to hear that as his mom...and then I woke up. But I kept thinking about people like us...me, the rabbi...the doctor...are we all people who live in that small grouping of people who see "glass half full"? Life needs to go on...even when horrific things occur...and it's sheer and utter turmoil to accept our fate that was handed to us without a say in the matter...but perhaps we...with our glasses filled higher than others...perhaps we have abounding Faith...or miraculous people around us who lift us? Or like me, have both? I see that God's miracle wasn't saving Adam...but maybe the miracle was the love that surfaced all around us...my husband, who was the rock in our home...that people who we never knew became our most solid friends...miraculous...

No comments:

Post a Comment