Adam...

Adam...
My Beloved Son

Friday, May 7, 2010

shin-digs...



Dear Adam,
Today is a warm and beautiful day...the sun is shining, the sky is radiant blue with beautiful billowy clouds...you lived and loved for days like today...a Frisbee thrown...some music played...a gathering created...and for you it was the perfect day for a shin-dig...you'd often use that term and you'd often throw shin-digs...random gatherings for food and friendship intermingled with laughter and song...and the randomness of who'd you invite...everyone it seemed...as the yard would grow filled with happy people...at times, the whole block would be parked up with vehicles...the neighbor's saying, "oh, It's Adam having another one of his shin-digs"...and Jordan loved these parties, too. Again, yours and Jordan's friendships intertwined...and we all had a good time...I always saw pieces of Pop in both you and Jordan...he loved people...I never remember him speaking ill of anyone...he held his home and heart open for all those around him...he was quiet, gentle and kind...and he loved to sit back and allow people to enjoy his home, food and music...often, he'd host "shin-digs", too.
aaahhhhh....and friendships...how amazing is it that we can have the privilege of choosing friendships? Sit back and reflect on that one...how lucky we are to be able to pick our friendships...and for you Adam, you gave everyone you came across that chance...and although hard work...keeping those friendships strong and growing...you made it work and people valued how seriously you took upon that role...of being a friend. Believe me, I learned from watching you...how kind you'd be to others...even the randomness of who you'd invite to these events...everyone and anyone and your magic of friendship made them blend...I hope you're there with us tonight...as we fire up the grill and talk about how much we miss our friend...but the things we're doing now are to honor the memories you gave to us...and we know that you'd want us to continue in your tradition...tears are flowing unbelievably as I write...I miss you THAT much...but although I know I will never understand "why" you had to leave us...until we meet again, I want to hold onto those little pieces I have left...Zach was here one day and he opened his wallet and pulled out a small blue piece of paper...my heart jumped as I remembered that note...you and I sat at the kitchen table...the season was Fall...it was your senior year...and you made little invitations for a shin-dig on our deck to celebrate Autumn's arrival...you even drew little orange pumpkins on each invitation...people who received those...cherished it then...cherish the memories even more...we'll miss you my friend...we'll miss you...

No comments:

Post a Comment