Adam...

Adam...
My Beloved Son

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

memory quilt....


....Nana Helmer has shown great efforts lately...to be supportive. This isn't her area...she's never been sentimental...and at first...with your passing...I don't think the depth of what really happened...was absorbed fully by her...
I'd been her rock, always and forever... helping her through her losses through the years...through her parents passing to her sibling's death and now we face together...the loss of you, Adam. She must have been thinking extra hard...because she called me the other day and offered me her sewing machine...at first I wondered...what would I do with that? And shortly thereafter, thoughts and ideas that she stirred in my mind surfaced...she said "maybe it would occupy your thoughts in a different way"...you could make different things...and maybe you could put it in Adam's room, and as you sew, you'd be in his room with pleasant thought of him...and maybe you could make a memory quilt" with pieces of Adam's favorite clothes...and the more I pondered her idea...the more I thought I could do it...and what comfort I would find putting my hands into something that would further memorialize you....as a child, I would often sit on the floor aside my mom, as she sewed on her machine...I was proud of her and what she could do with her needle and thread...and the pieces of cloth she'd embellish with buttons and bows...the things I would proudly wear...the outfits she'd make for my Barbies...she found comfort at that machine...and now she's trying to share it with me, her daughter...big steps in support...and I'm proud that she made that step...for me...for you...and I'm going to create that memory quilt...and when I complete it, I will cover myself at night in little pieces of all the wonderful memories each portion of fabric holds...each holds a special story of "you"

No comments:

Post a Comment